I have been trying to lose weight off and on since I was 15 years old with varying levels of success. It wasn’t until I discovered the potato diet that something clicked inside and I saw the biggest weight loss I’d ever had, 26 pounds in just 2 months! I know for a fact that my success came because of the two-week-long potato diet I did to start off a whole lifestyle change.
For those two weeks, I ate nothing but potatoes covered with some herbs from time to time. It was incredibly bland and my husband watched me do it saying with every meal that he didn’t know how I could stomach another bite. The truth was that in that two week time period there was only one day when I was sick of it and I nearly cried. But it was a mistake I made that caused that breakdown and I was soon back on track. None of the recipes that you’ll find below would have met my requirements during those two weeks. I was strict about eating only potatoes and a little bit of rosemary on them every couple of days. One of these days I’ll go more in-depth about those two weeks.
What I’m sharing below are recipes that I collected for the next potato diet I went on between Thanksgiving and Christmas. This one I only did for a week and it wasn’t nearly as restrictive, though there were some restrictions.
For this diet, I wasn’t allowed oil, salt, sugar, meat, or dairy products. The potatoes had to make up the majority of every meal and most of all, it had to be healthy!
Easy Mexican Microwaved Loaded Potato
With my busy schedule, I like to keep my lunches very simple, even while I’m doing a potato diet. This means eating things that are precooked or things I can throw in the microwave. If it’s done right a microwaved baked potato can come out amazing.
1 Large Potato
1/2 Can of Beans (Kidney Beans and Black Beans are my Favorites)
1 Bell Pepper, Yellow or Red
1 Green Onion, Finely Chopped
1/2 an Avocado
- Wash your potato and stab it with a fork repeatedly. The more stabs you have the less tough the skin will be.
- Put the potato in a microwave-safe bowl with the bottom filled with water and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- While your potato is cooking chop your pepper, onion, and avocado
- Flip the potato and put it back in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Once the potato is done set it aside and put the beans in a microwave-safe bowl (I use the same bowl from the potato so I have fewer dishes). Microwave for 3 minutes
- Combine everything in one bowl and top with salsa
I loved this diet so much that I’m planning on doing it for another week at the end of the month. I don’t know exactly how much weight I lost because I only weigh myself every 2 months. But I do know that my clothes barely fit me anymore and I feel amazing.